Tuesday, December 09, 2008

Jay Leno in primetime?! Who saw that coming?

I know the country's at a historical moment with the incoming Obama administration and all, but never mind that. Did you hear about this Jay Leno thing?!

Let me admit up front that I really dislike Leno. When I hear that someone prefers Leno over Letterman, that's like hearing that someone prefers getting punched in the balls to eating a delicious slice of pizza.

So, to hear that Leno is going to be on every weeknight at 10pm, and that NBC thinks this is a good idea--wait a second. How about The Ball-Punching Hour at 10 instead? Oh wait. We already have AFV for that.

I mean, am I missing something here? Leno's going to come on at 10, have guests, riff on the day's news. Then we get 35 minutes of local news. Then Conan comes on with guests and news riffs. Then Jimmy Fallon with, let's see, I don't know, guests and riffs? Then..is that Carson Daly show still on? NBC thinks that all of these shows will work?

Combine that with word that NBC is considering giving some prime time back to the local affiliates, and that's where the history-making comes in. I think we're witnessing the beginning of the end of NBC as we know it.

But, will the network transform into something better or worse? A year from now they may look like geniuses if they're making money. Hell, it may be sooner than a year if a SAG strike happens and lasts long enough to have some impact.

There's no doubt that now is the time for old media to make some bold moves and transform itself in order to survive. But, Jay Leno on every night at 10? I just refuse to believe that that's the answer.

No comments: